Summer time can be a busy season for a lot of industries. If you see more work heading your way it may be a good idea to get prepared now before your need becomes critical. What are some of the things you need to keep in mind for summer hiring?
Here are some tips for you to get started.
- Start early. Don’t wait until July to do all of your summer hiring. If you know your busy season is going to happen between June and September, plan for it. Create a hiring strategy that could encompass all of the following ideas. Start as early as spring to get a head start on the busy hiring season.
- Tap into college kids. Talk to your current staff members to see if they have kids who will be coming home from college over the summer or if they know someone in their neighborhood who will. This is a great way to get additional help over the summer. You can also reach out to area universities to establish summer working programs to attract college students.
- Know your summer goals. Before you hire 20 people to work in your warehouse for the summer get a good gauge on the amount of work you actually need to get done. Look at the production for previous years and add in any new business you’ve acquired. This will give you a good estimate of how many people you need and for how long.
- Modify your training program. Your seasonal workers will need to know how to navigate your company’s business while they’re on the job. Don’t throw them to the wolves and expect everything to go smoothly. Provide a truncated orientation that is similar to the one you give your new permanent employees all year round.
- Work with a staffing agency. Your local staffing service specializes in providing temporary solutions for your business needs. Talk with them about your project, the type of skills you need to complete it, and how long it will last. They can contact individuals in their database to see who is available and send you only the most qualified workers. You may even find new permanent employees among their ranks.
Do you need temporary help for your summer boom? ProSource Staffing, Houston Texas Staffing Agencies, can help today!